Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug[_16_] Doug[_16_] is offline

Default 12-foot wood beam - How to construct?

On Thu, 14 Feb 2013 13:39:40 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Wednesday, February 13, 2013 5:13:07 PM UTC-5, elbrecht wrote:
On Wed, 13 Feb 2013 08:21:54 -0800 (PST),
wrote:
My money is on it's a beam for a science, engineering, or shop class. Darro wants us to do his homework for him.

That would explain why it has to be easily dismantled-- and he hasn't
seemed concerned if it lasts more than an hour.

I wouldn't fault him [her?] for asking here. We *are* a resource--
sometimes a real good one.

Yeah, except if he'd been paying attention in class they taught him how to do the relatively simple calculations to figure out what forces are involved and how to figure out how much of what material is necessary.

He's going to have to prove his design on paper to get a grade. How's he gonna do that if we give him the answer?

Yep. I once saw a guy in college cheat and I was amazed he cheated as
long as he did according to some others. I remember saying to myself
that you are only cheating yourself because once you get into the
office, they'll know within a week or less, if you know your stuff. I
have no idea if he graduated or what became of him thereafter.