Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Ruined my bandsaw blade yesterday

On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 09:03:00 -0600, Ignoramus329
wrote:

Like usual in the last week, I was cutting up steel bars on my
bandsaw. I cut them up so that they fit in USPS flat rate boxes and
can be economically shipped to hobbyists.

Anyway, I took the next rectangular bar without thinking too much. It
had a couple of pins in it, which shuold have tipped me off, but did
not.

I loaded it into the bandsaw, turned it on, and walked away.

10 minutes lates I come back, and to my surprise, the bandsaw is still
going, without having even made a dent in the bar.

A little investigation made me realize that the bar is hardened A-2
(it had it stamped on the side, it was hadr to notice).

The $40 blade is ruined.

So, I will be more careful!

Save the blade for friction sawing. It may work, if there's enough HSS
in it.

--
Ed Huntress