Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Meteor

"Ignoramus21620" wrote in
message ...
On 2013-02-16, Steve B wrote:
That was close. Tunguska was pretty bad, too. Funny how now the
two
events have both been in Russia.

I was thinking about this too, my explanation is that Russia has a
large area of territory, so it is more likely that a meteor would
hit
Russia, than Luxembourg or Denmark.

Canada has some very large circular features too:
http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2006/1...ategory=travel
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manicouagan_crater
The glaciers have wiped away the evidence of surface ejecta.

Long-period comets have orbits above or below the plane of the planets
(which was scrubbed clean?) and so are most likely to strike at the
latitude of their approach angle, which is centered in front of them.
There is relatively little land to leave a crater on south of the
equator.
http://www.astronomynotes.com/solfluf/s8.htm
"The long period comet orbits are oriented in all different random
angles while the short period comets orbits are within about 30
degrees of the solar system plane."

Long period meteors that don't release water vapor trails like comets
are hard to detect. We'd probably never notice one coming straight at
us since it doesn't appear to move over time.
jsw