Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default House insurance and burglar alarms

"ARW" wrote in message
Jethro_uk wrote:
On Fri, 15 Feb 2013 22:11:11 +0000, Peter Parry wrote:

Also bear in mind police forces do not, as a matter of policy,
react to bells only alarm as over 99% are false alarms. If a
neighbour phones the police and reports an alarm activation they
will be referred to the local council noise abetment unit. Only if
they phone and say the alarm has gone off and they can see someone
eventually.

My old boss, and ex copper once told me that you shouldn't tell the
police that you can see people in the house ... they'll take ages to
turn up. As he said "Why would anyone turn up if there's a chance of
getting hurt." ?

They turned up pretty quickly when me an a mate interrupted a breakin at a
chemists late one night. The getaway driver bottled it and drove off, the
guy outside the chemist ran off over the fields and we captured the guy
that was inside the chemists.

Yeah, we've just had some crims caught red handed when
someone noticed them inside a house and called the cops.

It was probably the most stupid thing that I have ever done.

I did something similar. I did get burgled after the dog had died
of old age, and then noticed that the kids that walk past my place
the next day on the way to the high school were looking at my
place as they walked past. Thought that was suspicious, so I
parked the car a couple of streets over and stayed in the house
next day instead of going to work. Sure enough, I could hear
them coming in the same way they had got in the previous
day. Bailed them up, grabbed the one closest to me. The others
****ed off out the same way they came in. The one I had had
a big piece of very heavy walled 3" gal pip I had used as the
sewer stick pipe in his hand because they had come in thru
the workshop that’s part of the house, not separate. He didn’t
try to use it, because he was basically ****ting himself, but I
though afterwards that it wasn’t the smartest thing I ever did.

We fought with with the guy (and that included pushing fingers very hard
into his eyes and throttling him) before we managed to restrain him. When
the police turned up and arrested him a knife dropped out of the sleeve of
his jumper - that sobered me up, but not sober enough for the police to
take a statement - they had to take one the next day.

Mine didn’t resist at all.

When the cops showed up one of them was a quite slim good looking
woman. I didn’t quite hear what he said to her, but she started whacking
him in the chest and shouting 'what did you say' and he damned near shat
his pants all over again, and I nearly ****ed myself laughing at his
predicament.

What was even more eye opening was when I was down the cop shop
waiting for the cop to take a statement, his mum showed up and was
screaming abuse at the cops the second she came in thru the front
swing doors of the cop shop. All of them were the local indigenes
and cops recon they had gone thru about 6 places the day before,
all high school kids.

Didn’t lose much, just stupid stuff like a full bottle of scotch,
quite literally frozen pizzas out of the freezer, and a cup of
pens on the desk etc. I thought I had lost a big pile of CDs,
but they turned up on the wood stack in the workshop later.

I also got a phone call from the cops one saturday morning.
Some ****wit kids had been caught quite literally walking
around my street and another with a wheelbarrow they had
stolen filling it with what they had found in the neighbours cars.

I'd managed to leave my passenger's side door unlocked
as I'd been to a ****up the night before and had bought
some beer in a drive thru bottle shop. They got the last
of the beer and a few other things like a torch etc.