Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default House insurance and burglar alarms

John Williamson wrote
Dave Plowman (News) wrote
harry wrote

A good dog is better than any of the above.
Alarm and attack system in one cheap/free package.

By that you've never owned a dog.

I used to think of it as a free bonus when I did own a dog.

Yeah, that's certainly accurate. You don't need
a doorbell either with a dog that lives inside.

Companionship, an excuse for healthy exercise, and a reasonably reliable
burglar alarm and deterrent. Of course, the best system would be to have
two dogs, one small yappy one because they sleep lightly, and will wake up
the large one and the household,

Never had any problem with my ****ing great alsatian.

OTOH with an irish wolfhound that I had around at my place for a while
while the owner was way, the damned thing wouldn't even look up with
the cat I was also looking after literally walked right over it. That
useless
thing never even looked up when a visitor showed up.

and one large one to go for the throat while the little one distracts the
intruder.

Didn't need any distraction with mine.

Probably illegal now if it's a declared intention, knowing my luck.

I have to admit that mine was more likely to lick an intruder to death
than attack them, though, especially if they had a packet of chips about
their person.

Yeah, most dogs kick up one hell of a stink when someone
they don't know shows up but few will actually try to bite
them or kill them. One hell of a deterrent tho, one of my
neighbours who used to ask if he could borrow garden
tools looked like he was seriously considering turning
and running at times when he knocked on the big patio
door that's the main entrance door and had the ****ing
great alsatian hurl himself at the door. He gave up coming
around very quickly |-)