Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal
Mrcheerful Mrcheerful is offline

Default House insurance and burglar alarms

Dave West wrote:
"larkim" wrote in message
On Friday, 15 February 2013 15:13:26 UTC, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Fri, 15 Feb 2013 15:08:11 +0000, Toby Sleigh wrote:

Snipped

IME any discount gained by having a burglar alarm is minimal. Best
say you haven't got one. Especially since if you have got one, but had a

break in when it was off (e.g. you were at home) they may not pay up.

Much as I'd hate to imagine either arriving home with the possessions
gone, or waking up in the night with an intruder around, I still
consider it sufficiently unlikely to occur that its not worth
spending £500-£1000 on (in addition to insurance!!)
Matt

So in 2013 with the supposedly new attitude by the authorities to
burglars, what is the best course of action on hearing someone
breaking in to your house downstairs ?

just a hundred or so can get you an alarm system. I figure every bit of
extra difficulty/visible deterrent help to make the burglars think twice.
If you are in you can know instantly if someone is in the house that
shouldn't be. Internal sounders are a must too, the disorienting effect
couple with the loss of hearing makes someone that shouldn't be there get
out quick. I would have an alarm system before house insurance, but after
decent locks.