Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Earthing back boxes and socket outlets

In article ,
ARW wrote:
It's best practice to run an earth wire between the socket and earth
terminal on a metal back box. That's why it's there.

Best practice and electricians? Pull the other one:-).

;-) But if I were an electrician I'd make sure the terminal screws were
left loose to.

I fit the flyleads in older houses where there are damp problems and
where the spec says I have to.

Any competent DIYer should be fitting the flylead as they are not on
price.

Quite.

The sockets in question were brought to the attention of this group last
year by SteveWalker. They are Toolstation's "Contractor Pack", marked
HLM.

Seems they saved 0.0001p by not running the earth strip to the screw holes.

--
*Middle age is when work is a lot less fun - and fun a lot more work.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.