Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Do I have metal in my eye?

On Fri, 15 Feb 2013 22:55:54 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

So they tell you to get a prescription for valium or something if you
have claustrophobia and to have someone pick you up and take you home.
My usual people are busy next week. I've never had a valium and have
no idea how tranquil it will make me for how long. In the opposite
direction, I can drink caffeinated coffee and go right to sleep

Probably not valium. I had valium for a dental appointment with little
effect. But for a root canal, I had something else and I have no memory
of getting into the chair nor anything else till I woke up on my own couch
eight hours later.

--
Wes Groleau

When I do an MRI, I go into a self-induced transcendental meditation state.
I tell the tekkie what I'm doing, and add "Now, when I'm done, I'll be
awake, but just on the verge of it. Wake me up slowly, and don't hit me
with the ammonia, or hit a code blue. I'll be fully awake in 15 seconds or
so." It's so easy.

I used to do that during coffee breaks at the summer job I had after
my second year in college. The other guys played a game with coke
bottles, witha 25 cent pool and the winner being the guy whose coke
bottle was made the farthest from Indianapolis.

I got tired of that, so I just sat at my desk and daydreamed. But
when the coffee break was over, I couldn't wake up. I'd be groggy and
semi-awake for 15 more minutes. I'm surprised I wasn't fired.

I mentioned this to my GP and that started a second round of finding a
doctor for epilepsy. ("Do you want to get to the bottom of this? Do
you really want to get to the bottom of this" the GP said.) He
referred me to an MD in Chciago who he said "invented the EEG". He
was so busy that even his secretary had no time to talk to my mother.
My mother had to write her letters instead.

But thanks to Wikipedia, I can confirm finally that maybe he didn't
invent it, but he did help develop the early machines, and that he was
head of the Epilepsy Clinic at the U. of Illiinois.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frederic_A._Gibbs

He allowed me to get only 3 hours sleep the night before the
appointment so that I would sleep durrng the EEG. I still remember
his words afterwards. "You don't have epilepsy and you never did.".

Despite what the GP and the neurologist thought. (I learned later,
the neurologist had overseen the death of my grandfather from brain
cancer.at age 65. Not saying he could have been cured in 1953, but
it's still a blot on his record, afaic. )

Steve