Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default Earthing back boxes and socket outlets

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article
,
mike wrote:
Just came to fit some socket outlets from Toolstation and realised
the faceplate screws aren't connected to earth.

They're the top ones in this pic:

http://i46.tinypic.com/9glo1z.jpg

Older MK version with earth connection is below.

I thought all sockets followed the MK pattern with the result that
using either the earth connection on the faceplate or the earth
connection in the back box would result in everything being
connected to earth. But if someone made the earth connection to
the back box on the Toolstation version, any connected appliance
(double insulation and plastic earth prongs aside) wouldn't be
earthed. Is that right? Is this something new? Or something cheap?

It's best practice to run an earth wire between the socket and earth
terminal on a metal back box. That's why it's there.

Best practice and electricians? Pull the other one:-).

I fit the flyleads in older houses where there are damp problems and where
the spec says I have to.

Any competent DIYer should be fitting the flylead as they are not on price.

The sockets in question were brought to the attention of this group last
year by SteveWalker. They are Toolstation's "Contractor Pack", marked HLM.

--
Adam