Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B[_13_] Steve B[_13_] is offline

Default Do I have metal in my eye?

"micky" wrote

I worked briefly in a machine shop and have been doing a lot of
grinding over the years. When I was younger I never wore eye
protection. Now that I'm older and realize I'm not invincible I do. I
was told to get an X-ray before getting an MRI. IMHO it is very
unlikely you have any metal in your eyes.. I had none in mine... BUT
there is no reason not to go get the X-ray first and then get the MRI.
It would be foolish to just hope for the best given the difficulty of
replacing an eyeball if you do happen to have a stray piece of metal
in there.

Thanks. I'll do that.

BTW, what I have gotten near my eye is wires from the wire brush.

I love the wire brush and use it a lot**. and every so often a wire
comes out. and sometimes stab me in the face and stick there. I've
gotten much better about wearing safety glasses.

The wire brush has often had no shield, because it was bigger than the
shield I had

** A few minutes witha wire brush on a grinder makes things look like
new. All t he rust off tools, a little oil to make them work well.
Works on wood and other materials too.

Old welders used to use a mane hair from a horse's mane or tail, and draw it
over the eyeball, and a lot of times that would snag it out. I wonder now
how a stack of those super magnets would do, if that would pluck out the
metal sliver.

Steve