Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default TOT - if the lied about the beef being horse meat.......

Windmill wrote
Rod Speed wrote
wrote
Dave Liquorice wrote

What I find rather disturbing is that no one in the whole long supply
chain, from abattoir to retail outlet, appears to have been routinely
testing that a batch of meat or product called "beef" really is 100%
beef.

PCR assays for horse could be made cheap enough for
widespread surveillance, but it's not really the right approach.

It is when you want to rub the supplier's noses in the fact that
whatever they try fraud wise will get caught very quickly.

If you have to figure out after the fact what animal it came
from, you really don't know enough about the suppliers.

That last just isnt feasible with an EU wide system.

We don't merely have an EU-wide system, we have a worldwide system.

Sure but its even more true of a world wide system.

While I'm not completely paranoid about it, I've been unhappy
for a decade or two that no-one can possibly know always what
else is in the Brazil nuts, bananas, Kiwi fruit, frozen shrimp, .........

It is possible, just not economically feasible to test everything
completely.