Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Roof sheathing? what kind?

On Feb 15, 11:47*am, "Chomper" wrote:
wrote in message

I'm going to have to replace some sections of roof sheathing
as part of a re-roof project. *What is there now is 1/2" plywood.
I guess it's been OK because it's lasted almost 30 years.
Is 1/2" still OK as far as code goes, etc?
The part that is a problem was due to not being vented correctly,
which I'm going to fix. *It's actually one entire section of roof
where that whole section needs to be replaced.

I'm going to get quotes and want to make sure everything is
spec'd. *What is typically used now for roof sheathing? *Is OSB
ok? *is at as good or better than plywood? *Oddly looking at Lowes
and HD, it doesn't look like they have sheathing in 1/2". *Closest is
15/32.
I guess maybe lumber yards have true 1/2"?

Since you must go with 1/2", I would go with 1/2" CDX, 4 ply. *Don't go
with a 3 ply, even tho you could save a few pennies. And yes, get it at a
real lumber yard.

I have 20+ years in construction, from my younger days. *Check out
Certainteed ice/water guard. *We always used the sanded, which basically is
a non-slip surface so you can walk on it b/4 the roof covering is down. *We
used to start the roll on one end, and be able to roll across the edge
without cutting it into 10' pieces. Most manufacturers recommend to use 10'
pieces because the product is virtually stuck once it is applied. *On
Certainteed, you are able to lift it back up if it's not going on straight.