Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Do I have metal in my eye?

On Feb 15, 12:20*am, micky wrote:
On Thu, 14 Feb 2013 23:08:07 -0500, Wes Groleau

wrote:
On 02-14-2013 09:38, Doug Miller wrote:
micky wrote in
m:

[big snip]
Do I need the x-ray of my eyes?

Why are you asking for medical advice in a home-repair group on Usenet? How in hell should
we know? Ask your doctor.

Fairly obvious from what you snipped that he asked two doctors,
and either one is greedy or the other is an idiot.

Actually, neither were doctors. *They were staff at these imaging
clincis, * One was the guy who showed me the locker to store my metal
clothes and who started the machine to slide me into the doughnut
Maybe he was going to do the whole test.

The other, who said I had to have the orbiatla *xray, *was someone on
the phone, when I called to learn details and make an appointment.

Buit I dont' think either was going off on hir own. * I think each
represeented the policy of the clinic, and presumably of the chain
each clinic was a part of.

Then per Wes, the one that has a policy that the pre-procedure X-Ray
is only necessary if you've been doing grinding frequently, but not
if you did it occasionally, is clearly operated by idiots. A
rational
policy that makes sense to me is like this one which I posted
previously from an MRI facility I found online:

"Previous Metal in the Eyes - If you have EVER had any metal chips or
fragments in your eyes from welding, grinding, or any accidents of
any
sort, an eye x-ray must be taken prior to the study. Even if the
metal
fragment was taken out, or came out on its own, or if it occurred a
long time ago, an x-ray is the only way to confirm that there are no
fragments remaining. "

That would seem to be the important aspect, whether you had metal in
your eyes previously or not. Not whether you ground metal a few
times
a year or everyday. A dummy that isn't a pro could probably have a
higher probability of having had metal in their eye doing it
occasionally
as opposed to every day. And you would think you would remember it
happening. But, given the wide range of patients these
places encounter, I can see the policy of the place requiring it for
all
patients. You could have people with memory lapses, liars,
coummincation
problems, who knows....
But the other policy, basing it on frequency of grinding, is just
nuts.....