Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Dell Optiplex SX260 Computer Won't Boot Up

Jeff Liebermann wrote:

On Fri, 15 Feb 2013 11:00:54 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

I have one dead 260 I'm not going to bother with. I'd givve it to
you, but shipping from Florida is probably more than it's worth.

Thanks, but I don't think a dead computah is going to help. I need
to see if it will actually run on a range of DC voltages. I'll let
you know how it goes when and if I find time to play.

I learned a lot at Microdyne about filtering. People won't pay
$20,000 to $80,000 for a receiver that has internal noise problems.

Yep. Self-interference sucks but is all too common. My IFR-1500
service monitor has a built in 117VAC and 12VDC combination power
supply (single unit). I gave up on fixing the AC section and am
running it on DC. The switching noise isn't bad, but it's there. I
added some ferrite "beads" which made it usable.

You've probably seen these:
"Powering Your Antique Battery Radio"
http://antiqueradio.org/bsupply.htm

Yes. Philip Nelson was a regular on news:rec.antiques.radio+phono
for years.

http://www.arbeiii.com

That's another AC to DC supply. I want a rechargeable battery pack
with built in DC-DC converters for the 90 V plate & 9 V filament
supplies.

A lot of people do crap like this:

http://www.dialcover.com/batt1.jpg
http://www.dialcover.com/batt2.jpg
http://www.dialcover.com/zenbatt.jpg

Which is a 42 cent corregated paper mailer from www.Uline.com, and 10
dollar store grade 9 Volt batteries & 6 D cells for $42. They are on
this web page:

http://www.dialcover.com/components.html

BTW, Jeff Angus is back on a few newsgroups, but he can't access this
group most of the time. He is posting as Fox's Mercantile.