Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Trouble with Senco finish nailer.

On 2/15/2013 12:14 PM, Digger wrote:
On 2/15/2013 10:49 AM, Leon wrote:
On 2/14/2013 1:06 PM, Digger wrote:
On 2/14/2013 11:54 AM, Leon wrote:

What brand nailer do you need this with? I have used 150', 1/4" with a
Senco finish nailer and a Bostitch framer with no problems. These
things don't use much air. You may not be able to shoot as fast on this
long run but 2 shots per second is fast enough for me when fence building.

Not trying to start a war here folks, just offered a simple thought and
suggestion.

I have 3 different brands of guns onhand and a compressor limited to max
125lbs. I've not used Senco but understand it is an industry standard
brand and have no idea what is recommended by the OEM.

I've had good luck with Dewalts and Bostitch using 1/4", even at 85-90,
but not so my very old Campbell Hausfields when fed from 1/4" line,
unless kept to short runs. Soft 3/4" pine is one thing, MDF is another
and 2" treated is another and Oak and... Even the style of nail being
shot (coated vs uncoated, etc) can have an effect upon depth of
penetration at a given combination of adjustments.

I have also found 1/4" line totally inadequate for tasks such as paint
guns, air hammers, impact wrenches, sanders, metal saws and files. And
so, regardless of anyone's law of physics, many supply issues of my own
experience were permenantely solved with 3/8" line and a larger volume tank.

The original op did not specify air source being used nor much else
except MDF, 2" nails and a Senco gun @ 90lbs. Others had already offered
good advice and I simply offered a suggestion, not a declaration.

No war intended. :~) I was indeed curious what gun would require that
large of a hose. I have been on and worked on a bunch of job sites with
nailers working on 1/4" hose.

From what I understand Senco invented the nail gun. It apparently is
not the gun of choice these days. My Senco nailer was apparently the
gun of choice in 1989 when I bought it.

FWIW I have used that nail gun with a portable 7 gal air tank and
25',1/4" hose to shoot 10~15 times in quarter round in a house with no
electricity. Strange job. I made sure the hose was full before going
to the job.

Continuous use tools like those you mentioned above do need less
restriction for longer runs to operate more efficiently but if the hose
is 50' or shorter the 1/4" still worked fine in the automotive business
that I was in for 20+ years. The 1/4" hose was mainly used for air
drills, impact wrenches, air ratchets, zip guns, and in the body shop
for painting and sanding. Now the Coats tire machine did have a 3/8"
supply line as the bead expander would release enough air to inflate a a
tire in a split second. That machine however did have it's own air
reservoir, not even the 3/8" supply could keep it filled for more than
several seconds if the bead expander was in continuous use on the
difficult tires.

Leon, apparently your experience has been vastly different than my
own...I do also hold great respect for your knowledge and contributions
to the forums here and spend considerable time gleaning little tidbits
of useful information.

Although having been a lurker for many years, rarely a contributer,
once-in-a-while I do poke my head up and take my chances... :-)

I run a 20gal tank w/ single head @ 125lbs max feeding about 150' of
3/4" buried & overhead lines @ 100lbs. The lines are tapped with above
ground connectors & shutoffs at various locations around the property.
In theory at least, the 3/4 lines should multiply available tank volume
and serve as medium buffer for sustained output in high demand ops.

In my shop I am using a 20~25gal tank at something like 125 lbs max
about like your set up except a single 50', 1/4" hose for normal daily
use. I have an extra 100', 1/4" hose for fencing jobs, and and
emergency 20' 1/4: hose for the unexpected. But again, this for running
nail guns which only use air for a split second at a time. My air
operated abrasive wheel cut off tool gives my compressor a run for its
money but it simply can not keep up after 5~10 seconds. Same goes for
my other continuous use tools.

However, I cannot push enough air through through a 1/4" line at more
than 25' to sustain a typical non HVLP paint gun for more than a few
seconds, much less most other high volume air tools. But I would agree
that in most apps, even 50ft of 1/4" line should not be an issue for any
nail shooter I have used either.

Every high volume tool is different. In my old automotive days we had
6, 120gal + compressors running continuously. The lines coming from the
compressors were 2" diameter, that was required for the vehicle lifts,
that taped off to 1" lines that went all over the dealership to supply
the individual bays in the main shop and body shop. The individual
stalls T'd off to hose reels with 50' 1/4" hose and to manifolds on the
walls over the work benches. Many of the mechanics used the 1/4"
stretch coil hoses for their air ratchets straight from the manifolds at
the work bench, 10~15 feet. Impact wrenches ran off of the hose reels.

I still have the mechanic air tools and they run fine off of the 1/4"
hose at home but the compressor can't keep up after 3~4 lug nuts. ;~(

I let the dealership or tire store rotate the tires now. ;~)

Granted though, if I stuck a vertical 60gl iron horse 240v double-head,
pushing 150lbs to a regulated 100lb main, I could solve those problems
and maybe get back to using 1/4" line as you have.

Unfortunately though, I simply do not have the room for a high capacity
rig nor can I justify the expense and wiring change enough to support
infrequent usage.

Quite a few of us here are not professionals, and don't do a lot of this
stuff for a living. The kinds of tools and equipment many of you here
use are way out of the normal range of weekend garage warriors like
myself....Festool? R U kidding me? :-)

I am not totally inexperienced, and do myself have a 12x36ft fully
equipped woodshop, minus a turning setup, that I have likely invested
about $30,000 into, for equipment, over last 4yrs, but even this is
rather atypical for an average DIY'er and still not on par with a
proshop. Literally every tool in my shop is mobile, out of necessity! :-)

Keep those tidbits coming cuz I would be lost without them...