Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default OT - of interest to senior members

On 15/02/13 12:49, David.WE.Roberts wrote:
On Thu, 14 Feb 2013 20:23:34 +0000, dennis@home wrote:

On 14/02/2013 20:16, GB wrote:
On 14/02/2013 12:22, Man at B&Q wrote:
On Feb 14, 11:40 am, "David WE Roberts" wrote:
http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/31778

Petition against the removal of additional tax allowances for
pensioners.

Why would I want to do that?

It will do absolutely nothing to help those in real need.

All it will do is give more to those who already have enough to
benefit from said tax allowances.

How much do people need to get in order to benefit from the Age
Allowance?

Why not sign http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/32346 instead?

Might do if it was less specific - general nuclear power instead of one
specific technology.

I now have to go and research that specific technology.

Not that much support so far.

Thorium reactors really need a joint effort over two decades from several
competent nations.

I doubt it needs several competant nations.

Looks like we and the Chinese and Japanese might be sensible candidates.

Bet it turns out to be the chinese alone.

But no way is it an instant fix.

We dont need an instant fix. Those with a clue
like the french have used nukes for decades now.

Probably the best right now is some standard established technology like
the Hitachi ABWR that is being proposed.

The french nukes are fine.

EDF and the EPWR are looking like they are expensive and buggy in terms of
construction.

BUT the public wont be in favour until some spectacular grid failures die
to renewable energy enable the engineers who know the score to be heard.

Didnt take that with the french.