Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Garage socket & pattress question and 17th Edition wiring regs

On Fri, 15 Feb 2013 15:16:05 +0000, Stephen H wrote:

I am putting in a new 32A ring main that will just be for garage
internal sockets and external outside sockets. This is on a RCBO.

Reason for this if anything happens outside, it does not affect
anything else internally in the house.

If there is another upstream RCD there is no guarantee that a fault in
the garage won't trip that upstream RCD and/or the garage RCBO.
Now do the socket face plates and pattresses that are INSIDE the garage
have to be IP rated as well or is white domestic faceplates and
pattresses inside a garage acceptable for meeting 17th Ed wiring regs?

I'd use metal clad but having said that the soft plastic surface back
boxes take quite a whack, rather more than the polycarbonate face
plates/boxes.

--
Cheers
Dave.