Posted to uk.d-i-y
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Acrylic mirror material ...

"Scott M" wrote in message
Arfa Daily wrote:

Anyone had any experience of the stuff ? I have a need to make three
small mirrors - about credit card size - and two of them are not square.

I bought some the other week to use as a reflector to replace the corroded
piece of metal in my car's number plate illuminaire.

As said, scratches quite easily. Gives a reflection very nearly as good as
glass.

I had to cut a couple of small rectangles so clamped it to a piece of wood
and fed it through my lathe, set up as a table saw. It uses a 2" dia
cutting saw and was probably running at 800rpm (top speed!) It produced a
really nice finish. I mention this as whenever I've tried similar material
with my Dremelesque it ends up running at a far higher speed and melts the
swarf into the piece which is then a pain to get rid of.

So I reckon way to do it (for odd shapes) is to clamp the stuff down with
a guide piece and use a fine bladed hacksaw.

Scott

Thanks Scott. Valuable input

Arfa