Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Do I have metal in my eye?

On Thu, 14 Feb 2013 23:08:07 -0500, Wes Groleau
wrote:

On 02-14-2013 09:38, Doug Miller wrote:
micky wrote in
:

[big snip]
Do I need the x-ray of my eyes?

Why are you asking for medical advice in a home-repair group on Usenet? How in hell should
we know? Ask your doctor.

Fairly obvious from what you snipped that he asked two doctors,
and either one is greedy or the other is an idiot.

Actually, neither were doctors. They were staff at these imaging
clincis, One was the guy who showed me the locker to store my metal
clothes and who started the machine to slide me into the doughnut
Maybe he was going to do the whole test.

The other, who said I had to have the orbiatla xray, was someone on
the phone, when I called to learn details and make an appointment.

Buit I dont' think either was going off on hir own. I think each
represeented the policy of the clinic, and presumably of the chain
each clinic was a part of.

Regarding the same GP who didn't immobilize my bad shoulder and who
made the iniitial mistaken diagnosis of epilepsy: When I was still in
6th grade, JHS and HS, 7 7years, would not do the slightest thing
over the telephone, even renew a prescription. It wasn't about
making money, because he never charged us (and I saw his books once
and 1/3 of the patients he saw that day he saw for free.) My
mother was a cynic who though he was sued once, and was scared of
being suied again. . I'm a goody two shoes and I figure he knew some
doctor, who might not even have been sued, but knew he made an error,
when he didn't see the patient and relied on the phone.

Maybe these two clinics and whoever makes the medical decisions are
like that. One is using a valid, medically accepted standard, 3 or 4
hours of grinding and a little cutting is not a risk. And the other
was once sued or knew someone , and was taking no chances, no matter
what the "standard of care" nomrally is.

Although I tend to agree with whoever said, in many areas it's not
about 4 hours. It's about one second when something bigger than normal
or going in a different driection leaves the grinder and goes into my
eye.

I've always wondered about that wrt xrays. My brother's a
radiologist and he has to wear a clip on plastic rectangle, that has
some x-ray film inside. Every week they develop it to make sure he
hasn't gotten too many x-rays. But it seems to me it is likely just
one ray that hits the wrong spot that causes problem. I can't ask
my brother this, because a) he never like the physics part of
radiology, he hasn't done therapy for 45 years, so he really doesn't
get any radiation. . He just reads xrays (and mris cat scans, etc)
and says what they mean And I don't want to tell him about the pain
in my back until I get rid of it or I know more. .

This post needs editing, but I'm falling asleep in my chair.