Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Roof sheathing? what kind?

On Feb 14, 6:45*pm, Hench wrote:
On 2/14/2013 6:14 PM, wrote:

Looking at the cost of various materials, one killer is the
ice barrier that I believe is now required by code for the
lower areas. *And I have long eaves, which requires more
of it because as I understand it, the ice barrier needs to
extend up 2 ft beyond where the roof meets the heated
walls. *That means I need two passes, each 3ft wide.
That stuff goes for like $79 for a 3ft by 36 ft roll of the
product made by Grace. * That's $790 just for that.
The freaking shingles for the whole 43 sq are only $1400.
Maybe there are other products that are less expensive?
Ice damming here hasn't been a problem in 18 years....

I am curious as to why you are paying so much. *Nobody I know would ever
pay that high of a price for work like that around here...

I haven't paid anything yet. I'm trying to look at the key
issues so when I get quotes I know what I'm getting and
know how much it costs. And I can make sure that the
quotes spec equivalent grade materials.

After making that post, I found that Owens Corning has
a similar ice barrier product that is less than half. And
since I've had no problems in 18 years with no ice dam
product on there now, seems like it;s mighty fine to me.

That brings the material cost to around $2500 for a 4,000
square foot roof. Shingles are $32 a square. Sound
about right?

And for the section that probably needs all new sheating,
I'm going to get it quoted for replacement of that whole
section of roof and on a per sheet basis. That way depending on what
we find when we start taking it off, I won't get hosed.