View Single Post
  #6   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster

Default Pickup truck tailgate theft

On Thursday, February 14, 2013 8:04:24 AM UTC-5, HeyBub wrote:
Ralph Mowery wrote: "Oren" wrote in message ... "Coming back to the truck after a game at the stadium or following a night out with friends, it can come as quite a shock to realize that thieves have made off with your tailgate. It takes less than 30 seconds for a thief to snatch a pickup tailgate and replacement costs can amount to $1,000 or more." Read mo http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013/02/13/pickup-truck-tailgates-easy-to-steal-and-thefts-on-rise/?intcmp=features#ixzz2KnbW5UVa Gives kink to the National Insurance Crime Bureau (NICB). The easy to remove tailgate does make it easy to steal. Many people probably never remove the tailgates. On my truck I put one of the simple screw type radiator clamps on it.. That means that you have to take a screwdriver and loosen to clamp to remove the gate. Probably something the theives are not going to take time with. Without this, all you have to do is open the tailgate and pull it off, Takes maybe 5 seconds to do instead of 30 seconds. +1 You can also swap out the opening handle with one that has a lock.

My tailgate locks so I keep it locked. Drives my wife crazy but keeps it from being stolen.