Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Dell Optiplex SX260 Computer Won't Boot Up

On Thu, 14 Feb 2013 13:24:03 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

I have two of these computers.

I have three of them. However, only one works and I only have one
power supply. The other two are waiting for time to fix, or recycling
(toss a coin).

This model is well known for bad electrolytics. So much so that a
kit is offered for it: http://www.thecapking.com/gx620sff.html

http://www.thecapking.com/index.html for other kits, or good prices
on low ESR caps for motherboards. I've bought from them and will again,
in the future.

I replace enough caps to justify buying 25, 50, or 100 at a time.
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/repair/bad-caps.jpg

Also, they small power supplies fail more often than power supplies
in larger systems. Some of those are just bad electrolytics, as well.

Huh? I haven't seen any of the external 12V power supplies that have
failed. I think I've gone through about 8 of them so far, mostly used
on a previous generation of weather stations. I've been tempted to
see what range of voltage the SX260 will operate. I want to put it on
a storage battery and charger system, which means anything between
11.0 and 16.0VDC. Have you ever tried it? (I don't want to risk
blowing up my last remaining SX260 machine).

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D