Posted to rec.woodworking
Digger[_4_] Digger[_4_] is offline

Default Trouble with Senco finish nailer.

On 2/14/2013 11:54 AM, Leon wrote:
On 2/14/2013 10:47 AM, Digger wrote:
On 2/14/2013 10:30 AM, Ivan Vegvary wrote:
Putting up hundreds of feet of MDF trim. (1/2" casings, baseboards
etc.) Using 2" finish nails in the gun. Only about one in nine
nails sets below the surface. Pain in the ass to bend and set nails
at odd angles, even though I can swing a hammer with either hand.

Gun pressure set to 90 psi. Any suggestions? Buy a better gun?
Would lubricating the nails help. BTW, the nail heads are proud by
about 1/32".

All advise appreciated.

Ivan Vegvary

In addition to other suggestions, I would check size of airline. 1/4" is
often not large enough to deliver enough volume of air for some brands
of air tools to function properly. I typically use at least 3/8" line if
the run is more than a few feet.

What brand nailer do you need this with? I have used 150', 1/4" with a
Senco finish nailer and a Bostitch framer with no problems. These
things don't use much air. You may not be able to shoot as fast on this
long run but 2 shots per second is fast enough for me when fence building.

Not trying to start a war here folks, just offered a simple thought and
suggestion.

I have 3 different brands of guns onhand and a compressor limited to max
125lbs. I've not used Senco but understand it is an industry standard
brand and have no idea what is recommended by the OEM.

I've had good luck with Dewalts and Bostitch using 1/4", even at 85-90,
but not so my very old Campbell Hausfields when fed from 1/4" line,
unless kept to short runs. Soft 3/4" pine is one thing, MDF is another
and 2" treated is another and Oak and... Even the style of nail being
shot (coated vs uncoated, etc) can have an effect upon depth of
penetration at a given combination of adjustments.

I have also found 1/4" line totally inadequate for tasks such as paint
guns, air hammers, impact wrenches, sanders, metal saws and files. And
so, regardless of anyone's law of physics, many supply issues of my own
experience were permenantely solved with 3/8" line and a larger volume tank.

The original op did not specify air source being used nor much else
except MDF, 2" nails and a Senco gun @ 90lbs. Others had already offered
good advice and I simply offered a suggestion, not a declaration.

--
Digger
Bob O'Dell