Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default DHW & CH programmers

In article ,
John Rumm writes:
On 13/02/2013 17:22, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Trevor Smith writes:
Over the summer I will be upgrading my system but I am trying to find a programmer that will suit my shift patterns.

As I work at different shifts over a three week rosta I want a programmer where I can preset the timings for week 1,2 & 3 so I can select which week I'm on at a press of a button.

All of the ones I have found just have the standard 7 day 5+2 day programes which I have now.

Do any of you people in the trade know of a programmer that will suit my requirements.

I took my new prototype Raspberry Pi based heating controller along
to the Reading Geek Night last night, but it's not ready for use yet.
I have two other households in the family who want heating controllers
like the ones I did 13 years ago, and Raspberry Pi based seemed like
the way to go nowadays, rather than a PC. (It's more powerful than
the 120MHz Pentiums I originally used, and even they were overkill.)

Were you ultimately planning to have it talk to the serial bus equipped
boilers that sport some variant of a two wire interface?

Since none of the boilers I control (or plan to control) have this,
it's not a priority. Once you've got good heating control, it doesn't
seem to pay to replace an old boiler just on economy grounds.

I haven't looked at opentherm yet, but I will when it comes to boiler
replacement, and that's probably on the cards for the oldest in the
next year.

Actually, one thing I need to find is a source/supplier of room
thermostats which are actually just potentiometers, but look like
the real thing. I have been using Satchwell DRT3451, but these
were really for a range of long-obsolete fanfoil aircon units,
and all sources have dried up. I haven't been able to find anything
else yet. Obviously, I can make up a box with a knob on it, but
it won't look as good as a real molded/contoured one professionally
marked up.

--
Andrew Gabriel