Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Ford F250 Starter problem

On Thu, 14 Feb 2013 00:22:56 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"

On Wed, 13 Feb 2013 22:03:18 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"

I recieved Toyota factory training on the Nippondenso geared starter
when it ws first introduced on the 4M engine in the 1972 1/2 Mark 2
Corona and it was very well explained at that time. The information is
actually available on line - oh the joys of the internet - at
http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/h7.pdf.

I had a '73 Corona. It was the worst piece of **** I ever drove.
That includes the Opel Caddette that had the hood latch pull out of the
body, at 55 MPH on I-75 in Cincinatti.

The Corona and the Mark 2 were totally different vehicles - but early
'70s Toyotas, and any other Japanese cars, were quite substandard to
American vehicles - but no worse than british or German vehicles of
the time. In only a few short years, that changed SIGNIFICANTLY.

The disk brakes on that car were definately substandard. Hit them
hard in reverse, and the pads popped out even with good rotors & new
pads. Toyota told me that only 1000 '73 Coronas were imported, and
reqquired major redesigns rthe following year. No parts were availible,
without a six to nine month wait to get them from Japan. They wanted
$750 (US) for the speedometer cable. They wanted $600 for a seat cover
for the lower half of the rear seat. I got pulled over one morning (5
AM) by an Ohio State Highway Patrolman for speeding. I told him I was
unable to find parts for the speedometer, and the dealer didn't want to
order the part. He called me a #$%^&*( Liar. Then he aimed his
flashlight at it and asked, Is that a '73 Corona? I said yes. He
turned red and said, I owned one of these pieces of $#%^&*( crap. Get
out of here, and be more careful.

Funny thing, in Canada all of the parts were readilly available - and
actually reasonably priced. By 1974 they had the brake problem sorted
out - all replacement pads in Canada had the fix