Posted to uk.d-i-y
Alan Braggins Alan Braggins is offline

Default Ordinary radiator- move water inlet to top tapping?

In article , GB wrote:
On 14/02/2013 08:52, harry wrote:
On Feb 14, 1:10 am, DerekG
wrote:
Ive got a large, heavy & expensive but otherwise ordinary radiator to
which I want to fit a Honeywell "Rondostat" digital TRV.

Sadly it has an LED display that can't be read with the 'stat in the
traditional location at the bottom.

The question is if I re- arrange the hot water inlet to use the top
tapping will the bottom half of the radiator still get hot ?

Diagonal connections will give you the maximum heat output. The
manufacturers heat ratings are all for diagonal connections because it
makes them look more efficient.

Diagonal connections are the traditional way radiators are connected.
Using the two bottom connections is just done to make the pipework
look neater. And save a bit of pipe.

Does it make any difference whether the water goes in at the top and out
the bottom, or vice versa?

Google suggests inlet at the top is traditional; with inlet at the bottom
you can get a cooler lower corner at the other end as the hot water rises
as it comes in.

And it turns out that top and bottom at the same end is actually even
better than diagonal (and is used for quoted ratings). But the effects
are small in modern systems.

http://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/3266...positions.html
http://www.navitron.org.uk/forum/ind...?topic=18116.0
http://www.plumbingpages.com/feature...ionFactors.cfm