Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Pickup truck tailgate theft

"Dean Hoffman" " wrote in message
On 2/13/13 12:11 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

The easy to remove tailgate does make it easy to steal. Many people
probably never remove the tailgates. On my truck I put one of the simple
screw type radiator clamps on it.. That means that you have to take a
screwdriver and loosen to clamp to remove the gate. Probably something
the
theives are not going to take time with. Without this, all you have to
do
is open the tailgate and pull it off, Takes maybe 5 seconds to do
instead
of 30 seconds.

I take it you put the clamp on the slotted end gate pivot point at the
bottom. A good idea. Simple and easy.

That is correct. That converts that slot to more or less a solid shell. It
is not my origional idea. Friend showed it to me and he found it somewhere
else.

If you have a screwdriver it can be removed in a short period of time. I
never have had any need to remove my tailgate. I don't use it like a truck
very much, but have hauled about 20 loads of wood in the 6 years I have had
it.
This is a Toyota Tacoma that has the slotted piviot point,but I bet there
are others that work similar to it that a $ 2 would fix.