Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Ford F250 Starter problem

On Wed, 13 Feb 2013 18:27:00 +0100, Uffe Bærentsen
wrote:

Den 13-02-2013 03:15, skrev:
On Tue, 12 Feb 2013 22:40:37 +0100, Uffe Bærentsen
wrote:

Den 12-02-2013 18:42,
skrev:
On Tue, 12 Feb 2013 08:49:59 -0600, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

John B. fired this volley in
:

The Bendix system was apparently phased out some 50 years ago and
replaced by an overrunning clutch design.

Do you work on a lot of engines? The Bendix is alive and healthy.

LLoyd
Nope - the genuine "bendix" style drive is pretty well limited to
things like snow-blowers etc with 120 volt starters. Virtually ALL
automotive starters use pre-engage starters with over-running
clutches, Don't know when I last saw an actual Bendix style drive on
an automobile - but it goes back to the seventies at least.

Maybe that is the case with US starters.
However the vast majority of European an Japanese starters today use a
combination of both solenoid/pre-engage and Bendix.

By the way - I'm more familliar with the Japanese way of doing
things than the American - having been a Toyota Tech since back in
1972, and a Toyota service manager for 10 years. - and as explained
in my last post - it is NOT a bendix (inertia) drive). It is a
pre-rotator on a pre-engaged gear reduction starter.

So we now have both "Genuine Bendix" and "Not Genuine Bendix" that react
in excact the same way but are different?

Sounds fishy to me and a lot of others.......

Maybe that is what Toyota says but that does not mean that it is the
only truth.

Keep talking Uffe, your ignorance is showing.

There is no such thing as a "bendix" drive on a pre-engage starter. A
"bendix" drive is, by definition, a "self engaging" starter drive.

There are 2 basic kinds of "bendix" drive - the early "bendix" whick
had a bad habit of kicking out when an engine fired but did not start,
and a "bendix follo-thru" which stayed engaged untill the engine
started and ran.

I am a retired automotive mechanic, automotive service manager, high
school auto instructor, and automotive trade instructor and I know
what I'm talking about, and still have the texts that were used in
both educational levels, as well as numerous factory shop and training
manuals at my disposal, as well as what is available on the net.