Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Pickup truck tailgate theft

"Oren" wrote in message
"Coming back to the truck after a game at the stadium or following a
night out with friends, it can come as quite a shock to realize that
thieves have made off with your tailgate. It takes less than 30
seconds for a thief to snatch a pickup tailgate and replacement costs
can amount to $1,000 or more."

Read mo
http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013/02/13/pickup-truck-tailgates-easy-to-steal-and-thefts-on-rise/?intcmp=features#ixzz2KnbW5UVa

Gives kink to the National Insurance Crime Bureau (NICB).

The easy to remove tailgate does make it easy to steal. Many people
probably never remove the tailgates. On my truck I put one of the simple
screw type radiator clamps on it.. That means that you have to take a
screwdriver and loosen to clamp to remove the gate. Probably something the
theives are not going to take time with. Without this, all you have to do
is open the tailgate and pull it off, Takes maybe 5 seconds to do instead
of 30 seconds.