Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
G.W.Ross G.W.Ross is offline

Default Turning Punky wood

On 2/12/2013 4:39 PM, wrote:
On Friday, September 14, 2012 7:35:02 PM UTC-5, G. Ross wrote:
I am trying to turn a silver maple bowl with punky areas . I tried
using thin CA glue but it does not seem to penetrate far enough to
help much. Have any of you found anything that works better?

Try a 1- or 2- lb cut of shellac. Soak the piece for a while, then let it dry. Be aware that it will change shape, as it absorbs the liquid.

John Pierce
Maker of Fine Wood Chips and Sawdust

Thanks for the reply. I wound up using, I believe, Minwax wood
hardener. Anyway the bowl has been finished and sold a couple of months
ago.

--
 GW Ross

 If wishes were horses, dog food would