Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Monitoring the signal going into a non-grounded speaker?

On Mon, 11 Feb 2013 13:29:03 -0800, mike wrote:

Can you be more descriptive about what you're doing?
If you're connecting a sound card to the line side of a switcher,
I can't imagine anything more dangerous...as in smoke/fire/death.

Left -------------------------/\/\/\/------ hot

Right ------------------------/\/\/\/------ common

Shield ------------------------------------ ground

(For a switcher, pretend the resistor is a 100:1 attentuator network
as I'm too lazy to draw it). As long as the sound card can handle the
voltage difference between hot and ground, and common and ground,
nothing will blow up. With the 100:1 attenuator, it should be no more
than about 5V on the inputs. Incidentally, using a series capacitor
for isolation doesn't work as the initial charging current will blow
up the sound dongle.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D