Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Vinyl Floor Covering

"jamesgang" wrote in message
Lowes sells these cheap installs but then gets the money back with various
conditions. Their cheap carpet install requires you to buy new pad too

and does not remove or dispose of the old carpet or pad. If your subfloor
is in good condition then you don't need the 1/4" luan board. But you
might not be able to get it installed without it. At least not from
lowes.

About 2 years ago I had Lowes to install some carpet. The store here uses
independant contractors to acutally do the work. The did a much beter job
than a carpet job I had done by a place that only does floors.

The store will install carpet without the pad if you want them to. Also
will haul off the old stuff,but there may be a charge for that, just don't
recall.

They did everything for me, but I did remove the draws from the dressers the
night before and put them back in. There was an extra charge to move the
furnature. They did two rooms. Two men came out and it did not take them
very long to do the job and I was happy with the results. One room had good
carpet put in and a spare bed room had a cheaper carpet installed.

In a house previous to this one, I had some vinyl installed. They said they
would install it over the vinyl flooring I had, but due to the gouges in the
old stuff , they would not garentee it if I did not have the laun boards
installed.
The old vinyl was in bad shape so I went with the laun.