Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair
Ian Field Ian Field is offline

Default Crystal frequency for monochrome video signal?

"Martin Brown" wrote in message
On 10/02/2013 17:39, Ian Field wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

Ian Field wrote:
?
? "Tilmann Reh" ? wrote in message
? ...
? ? Michael A. Terrell schrieb:
? ?
? ??? 80's vintage German printing equipment (offset press industry)
uses a
? ??? video
? ??? plug-in card (made by the manufacturer of this equipment) to
generate
? ??? parameter display for the operator. The display is a standard
baseband
? ??? video
? ??? tube monitor. (It is possible, being German and sold in the USA
market,
? ??? that
? ??? the video may be NTSC or PAL.)
? ?
? ? If it's monochrome, we don't need to talk about NTSC or PAL and
their
? ? particular color carrier frequencies...

? In PAL ? NTSC; the colour carrier was a multiple of the line rate.

WHICH NTSC? There are two.

Twice never twice the same colour?!

I always thought that too from watching US terrestrial TV until I saw the
Japanese implementation of NTSC colour which works correctly.

PAL may have given the Jap designers a bit more trouble - some of the early
loss-leader sets had 2 colour subcarrier crystals - they had some pretty
strange looking circuitry where the 7.8kHz ident oscillator should have
been.