Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Ford F250 Starter problem

On Mon, 11 Feb 2013 08:39:49 -0800, Gunner
wrote:

On Sun, 10 Feb 2013 22:15:47 -0800, Gunner
wrote:

My roommate has a '97 F250 7.2L gas, XLT 4 door pickup with a starter
problem.

She hits start..the starter solenoid on the fender well clicks..no
start.

I shorted across the primary power leads of the starter solenoid..no
start.

I had her hold the key in the start position and crawled underneith
and shorted across the two big nuts on the starter.... and it started.

I didnt think at the time to measure the small red wire power to the
solenoid ON the starter and only realized it as I sat down to type
this..damnit. I should know better..sigh

Assuming there is a start signal TO the bendix solenoid "coil"...can
they be repaired or is a starter replacement required.

I used to be pretty damned good at this sort of thing..the
stroke...shrug

Hell..I cant even remember the name for the coil that drives the
bendix.

Or am I missing something? This LOOKs like a basic starter with
switch operated solenoid ON the starter...powered by the small red
wire...but come to think of it..that fender mounted solenoid...wtf?

Sigh.

Help?

Some assistance is required in defining terms.

The black round thingy on the fenderwell with a battery lead coming
in, a cable going out to the starter and a wire to operate it , is
called a what? Starter Relay? Solenoid?
Big honking relay?

The "electricly engaged" gizmo on the starter itself is called a what?

Starter Solenoid? Electric Bendix? Thingabobbie? Hodendragon?
Gizmatso?

The fender mounted round black thingy is referred to in the trade as a
"solenoid switch" - which is really a "honking big relay"

TheElectriclly engaged gizmo on the starter is generally reffered to
as the "starter solenoid" or "engagement solenoid".

Techinally, a pre-engage starter does not have a "bendix" as "bendix"
was a trade name for an INERTIA starter drive.

Generally on a vehicle using a solenoid applied pre-engage AND a
fender mounted solenoid switch, the apply solenoid coil is connected
to the main battery terminal of the starter (apply solenoid) and is
energized when power is applied to the starter by the solenoid switch.

Chrysler bacl in the sixties and seventies with their "high park
hummingbird" gear reduction starter connected the battery to the
contact of the solenoid and used a fender mounted relay to provide the
sizeable current required to pull in the apply solenoid without
passing all of that current through the starter/ignition switch and
the clutch or neutral safety switch.

1. Lie