Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Doug Miller[_4_] Doug Miller[_4_] is offline

Default Ford F250 Starter problem

Gunner wrote in
:

My roommate has a '97 F250 7.2L gas, XLT 4 door pickup with a starter
problem.

She hits start..the starter solenoid on the fender well clicks..no
start.

That's the starter *relay*, not the solenoid. The solenoid is on (or in) the starter.

I shorted across the primary power leads of the starter solenoid..no
start.

*relay

What position was the ignition key in when you did this? I'm betting it wasn't Start.

I had her hold the key in the start position and crawled underneith
and shorted across the two big nuts on the starter.... and it started.

*that's* the solenoid. Sounds like the starter relay is bad -- shorting across the solenoid
terminals bypasses the relay.

I didnt think at the time to measure the small red wire power to the
solenoid ON the starter and only realized it as I sat down to type
this..damnit. I should know better..sigh

Do so. You probably will find 0V.
[...]
Hell..I cant even remember the name for the coil that drives the
bendix.

It's called the solenoid. There is no such part as a "starter bendix" -- Bendix is a *brand
name* for various automotive parts.

Or am I missing something? This LOOKs like a basic starter with
switch operated solenoid ON the starter...powered by the small red
wire...but come to think of it..that fender mounted solenoid...wtf?

Fender-mounted relay. It's quite common.