Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Crystal frequency for monochrome video signal?

On 10/02/2013 17:39, Ian Field wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

Ian Field wrote:
?
? "Tilmann Reh" ? wrote in message
? ...
? ? Michael A. Terrell schrieb:
? ?
? ??? 80's vintage German printing equipment (offset press industry)
uses a
? ??? video
? ??? plug-in card (made by the manufacturer of this equipment) to
generate
? ??? parameter display for the operator. The display is a standard
baseband
? ??? video
? ??? tube monitor. (It is possible, being German and sold in the USA
market,
? ??? that
? ??? the video may be NTSC or PAL.)
? ?
? ? If it's monochrome, we don't need to talk about NTSC or PAL and
their
? ? particular color carrier frequencies...

? In PAL ? NTSC; the colour carrier was a multiple of the line rate.

WHICH NTSC? There are two.

Twice never twice the same colour?!

I always thought that too from watching US terrestrial TV until I saw
the Japanese implementation of NTSC colour which works correctly. No
need to clamp the newscasters face to an eerie shade of pale orange to
avoid him drifting between a zombie green and purple flesh tone.

ISTR NTSC-J differs really only in the black level and blanking which
means that a tweak of the brightness control makes it work in the USA.
They were making full multistandard kit for the expat market back in the
early 1990's also with a tweak for bilingual TV mode allowing the R-L
sound channel to be presented as a mono channel on demand.

The main difference seemed to be like with RIAA equalisation that the
Japanese engineers read the specification and implemented it fully where
as the US engineered version was "near enough" and cheaper.

PAL was more complex still but got around the inherent drift problems by
having phase alternate line so on average chroma drifts cancel out.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown