Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default Snowblower Problem Question ?

wrote:

On Sun, 10 Feb 2013 07:57:15 -0500, Jim Elbrecht
wrote:

-snip-

IF it was the gear-case the impeller would spin but not the auger.

you are, of course, correct. I woke up from my nap and I
re-remembered how that works.

In this case the auger is turning - which on an Ariens means the belt
is OK and the shaft is turning - and the impeller has decoupled from
the shaft.. On any Ariens I've seen (I worked for an Ariens dealer
back in 1968-71) there IS a shear pin on the back of the impeller. It
is usually a 1/4X 1 1/4" roll pin rather than a bolt - and on an older
machine it will be terribly hard to locate (all rusted up - it will
basically dissapear from sight.)

I've driven them out. I suppose one could fall out or rust-- but the
ones I've been able to budge were rolled steel and wouldn't shear.

That said- I *did* manage to flatten 2-3 of the vanes in an impeller
with a slightly smaller than a baseball sized rock. It raised
quite a racket so I shut it off quick. That was on a 30 yr old
Bolens so it is probably easier to bend the vanes on the newer ones.

Where'd the OP go-- still out shoveling?

Jim