Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default HF 1x30 sander...

On 2/10/2013 2:36 PM, woodchucker wrote:
On 2/10/2013 2:57 PM, dpb wrote:
It's cheap but seems to get decent reviews...anybody here have handson
w/ it or an alternate suggestion of moderate/low initial cost? Primary
purpose touchup sanding for curved legs, etc., from the BS...

Also, the Grizz benchtop oscillating spindle sander looks to be a decent
deal at $160 -- doesn't seem much else available that is as
capable/well-equipped that isn't much higher?

--

I have a similar craftsman, 1x40.. I like it, comes in handy for all
sorts of things. Sharpening axes , rounding metal.. I have some coarse

I also have a big belt 6x48. That I use.

If I were going to spend the 160 on the griz, I would check out the
Rigid combo, belt and drum oscilating .. for $199 it still looks like a
nice unit. I was looking for one used before I found my $2 6x48 that
needed rebuilding. It was well worth the effort. But it doesn't have the
oscilating feature... which I think is nice, but it makes fast work of
everything.

I've got a 10" by 6x48 combo unit so don't really need the Ridgid--I
like the larger table on the Grizz...

I've used the sanding platen w/ the 12" Craftsman bandsaw and it works
ok up to a point but is somewhat of a pita to have to set up so for the
cheap on the HF I'm pretty sure I'll give it a go--it's just too cheap
to worry about...don't have any coupons at the moment but that's hardly
an issue for the price...