Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default TOT - if the lied about the beef being horse meat.......

John Williamson wrote
Dave Liquorice wrote
dennis@home wrote

Not that vegetarians are picky.

Seems that meat eaters are if they are getting upset about a bit of dead
horse on their plate. What is the difference between killing and eating a
pig, goat, cow, sheep or WHY and killing an eating a horse?

None at all IMO, except that for some reason, the British people get all
sentimental about horses and other animals that have names. Morally and
practically, any slaughter of an animal (Including fish) is killing
another animal so you can survive a bit longer in the fashion to which you
are accustomed.

And its not just about survival anyway.

The absolute vast bulk of all the animals I eat only
got to live at all because they are eaten by humans.

The main obvious exception is fish etc.

Corse I prefer that they are killed humanely but
don't really care too much that the fish don't.

Could I personally kill an animal so that I could eat? I don't know, the
situation's never come up for me.

It has for me, and I don't give a damn.

One reason for humans eating meat historically has been that some
herbivores can survive and produce edible protein from land which cannot
be used for growing edible (To humans) crops. In historical times, this
made the difference between tribal survival and extinction.

The real reason for humans eating meat historically is because we
evolved that way.

To use one example in this thread, camels can survive and thrive on
vegetation which is inedible by humans,

That's true of most of the animals we eat.

and humans have learnt to use them as transport and food over the
millennia. Camel's milk cheese has an interesting flavour,

Never tried it.

and will keep for ages without refrigeration.

So do plenty of other cheeses.