Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default Snowblower Problem Question ?

Bob wrote:
-snip-
Have an Ariens snowblower. Model 7524. Typical 2 stage unit; few years
old now.

Is that 'a few' like 3-4 or 'a few' like 30-40?

Engine works fine.
Drive system to wheels works.

Big Auger wheel in front turns.

But won't throw snow. No clog.

Is 'won't throw' like it just dribbles out the chute-- or nothing is
happening there? wet snow? fluffy powder?

Can't see if the high speed Impeller is turning or not.

Turn off the machine. Take a poker and put it down the chute and
see if you can turn the impeller. When you do that, does the auger
turn-- or can you *not* turn it at all?

Neighbor suggested a broken belt.

If it is 8-40 years old I can assure you it is not a belt. [maybe
last week's model, too but I haven't played with them] If the
augur turns you have power past the belts. The bad news is- there
is probably not a shear pin on the impeller. What fails there is
that little gear case that sits between the augers.

If you can turn the impeller with the machine off listen to that gear
case and see if you hear bits of iron rattling around.

Jim