Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B[_13_] Steve B[_13_] is offline

Default Zillow Blog

"Doug" wrote in message
On Sat, 9 Feb 2013 11:54:51 -0700, "Steve B" wrote:

"George" wrote

That always cracks me up on the various "house hunter" shows. It always
goes something like "well the price is really good but that purple paint
in the bedroom just isn't going to work so we don't want this house..."

Buy the place for $25k less and hire someone for $1k to paint the room
and
be $24k ahead. Amazing how most people never use such simple financial
reasoning.

Two things amaze me. One is how someone won't even consider blowing out a
wall, or removing some popcorn, or, as you say, repainting a couple of
rooms, and adding a little cheap fluff.

The other thing is when they skim through the costs quickly, how they
underestimate the actual costs of doing the
upgrades/changes/replacements..
Unless, of course, they are slavedrivers who use very cheap labor, and
even
doing that, they have to settle for some highly unqualified sloppy
workmanship. Or they do the work themselves, and don't add at least $15
per
hour for their own labor. I charge $25 to $100 an hour.

Steve

Steve, is your charge of $25 to $100 an hour just for labor? Why the
huge difference if it's just for labor?

Depends on the technicality of the work. Simple easy clean work using not a
lot of supplies, $25. Complicated work that requires technical knowledge or
expensive tools, the prices go up. Also priority.

Sign in my shop:

Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.

If you want that yesterday, it will cost ya.

Steve