Posted to alt.home.repair
Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default Zillow Blog

On Sat, 09 Feb 2013 16:32:47 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On Sat, 09 Feb 2013 13:39:23 -0500, wrote:

Paint is one thing but trashy wallpaper is a whole different kettle.
I'm with nn on this one, no wallpaper (one room, I could probably look
past one room).

You'd not scrape and repaint (or pay to have it done) if you could
save thousands?

It really depends on the age and type of wallpaper. The old stuff was
almost impossible to remove without way too much labor and damaging
the plaster or drywall.
Newer stuff can come off easily. Vinyl in the "paper" and different
glues.
My wife has redone a couple rooms with no problems. Putty knife to
wetted spot to start, then a sponge, and just a little work with the
putty knife. All paper she had put up. She made sure it was easy to
remove before she bought it. I told her I wouldn't remove it. She
likes some of the wallpaper patterns. But it's not an "easy" job even
with the newer stuff.
She did our hallway a couple years ago and decided to use a pattern
paint roller, and taped for stripes. Because she didn't want to
eventually deal with removing paper.