Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Viscosity Cups? Swing, Nailshooter?

On 2/9/13 12:16 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 2/9/2013 11:29 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
While we're on the subject.... do you guys use the viscosity cups that
come with HVLP guns?
Do you know of a good resource explaining their proper use?
Many of the sources I've seen on the internet contradicts one another
(big surprise!).

I know how to use one, yes ... but I think it may depend upon the cup
that is usually provided with the HVLP spray unit, and the particular
viscosity table for that cup, which should be in the manual.

I simply dip mine into the product, while still in the can, until full,
lift out and count the seconds until emptied.

Mine is calibrated to my unit thusly:

Water Based Paints/Latex: 25 - 60 seconds
Oil based paints: 45-50 seconds
Primers: 45 - 50 seconds

Also mine holds exactly 1/10th of a liter, so when I need to thin to
10%, 20%, etc. with a product, I have an excellent chance of being close
enough, even with a quart.

Simply hold your finger over the bottom of the cup and fill it with
thinner of choice to full for 1/10, etc.

Does your manufacturer have a website?

This is the one Rockler sells... which is the same exact one HF sells,
in a different box.
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=10469
Yes, I know your Earlex would be a big upgrade. :-)

The manual (on the site for download) says to time until "the first time
the fluid stream breaks (not how long it takes to drain the cup
entirely)." And it also says the "time for fluid flow is between 8-20
seconds" which sounds odd to me.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)