Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Any carpenters here? (installing a handrail)

On 2/9/2013 9:07 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:
On Feb 9, 9:54 am, wrote:
On 2/9/2013 8:16 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:

Anyway, I have no experience finding studs in that kind of

Suggestions? I imagine I'd use oak railing parts from the Borg, by the
way.

Don't suppose you know how regular the wall stud spacings are, even, do
you? Sometimes in those old houses they're as regular as a Swiss watch;
sometimes not so much...if they are regular and there's a good corner at
one end from which to measure, you've got a reasonable chance.

I've not used one so can't say firsthand but reviews of some of the
better (as in higher-$$) Zircon and Bosch sounders worked reasonably
well w/ plaster walls in a Fine Homebuilding review -- not sure otomh
which issue; think it was about first of maybe 2011 based on a quick
view of comments...

There are those who say the rare-earth magnet "StudTHUD" is supposed to
be the cat's meow...

www.diamondresource.net/index.php?page=products-stud-thud

I've not further info other than that on it, though...

One thing is that if the plaster is in good shape on a wood lath paster
wall you can use a moly bolt and by getting across and behind the lath
it'll be very strong even if you do miss a stud...

I'd like it to be VERY strong. He doesn't just steady himself on the
railing, he practically seems to pull himself up the stairs. I'll
feel better, if nothing else, if I get the brackets into the studs.

Well, you can always go to a rail board and then it can cover any
unwanted holes made to find the actual stud locations.