Posted to rec.woodworking
Digger[_4_] Digger[_4_] is offline

Default Any carpenters here? (installing a handrail)

On 2/9/2013 10:18 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 2/9/2013 9:14 AM, Keith Nuttle wrote:
On 2/9/2013 9:58 AM, Leon wrote:
On 2/9/2013 8:16 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:
This is not really a woodworking question, but I figure someone here

Snipped

Just a question of interest. Using sensitive thermal imaging equipment
could you find the stud by the difference in temperature between the
wall over the between studs and the wall over the studs?

Only if there is a differntial in temperature between the outside wall
and inside wall.

IOW, in interior walls, IME, it will not show studs. BTDT

It will work, if one places a couple 500 watt flood lights (work lights)
on one side. I've had the city engineer look at my walls for plumbing
issues, using the same thermal imager now carried by most fire & police
depts.

The city here carries an insurance policy on lateral sewer drain repairs
which is charged in property taxes and thermal imaging is a very
important means of assessing damage.

Better plumbing companies are now using thermal imaging to trace out
hidden and below grade lines by simply running hot/cold water. But of
course, there are always divining (dowsing) rods an sech! :-)

--
Digger
Bob O'Dell