Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Any carpenters here? (installing a handrail)

On 2/9/2013 8:57 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:
K. Was 16" "standard" before there was sheetrock? (and yes, I'm aware
that even if it was, I might not find that spacing) The house was
built in 1939,

Depends ... 16" OC, for a 2x4 studs in platform framed is "standard" in
most codes dating far back; 24"OC is "standard" for 2x6 studs.

If the house is two story, and has balloon framing, which is not
uncommon in houses of that vintage, you may find it closer to the latter
(24").

I can tell you one thing ... you will not be happy with ANY stud finder
you can buy at a BORG. End of Story

If you have to get destructive to anchor that thing for your Dad's
safety, which is of paramount importance, Leon's suggestion about using
a trim board behind the hand rail is excellent advice.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net