Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
mike[_22_] mike[_22_] is offline

Default Dimensionally Stable Metal

On 2/5/2013 3:20 PM, Searcher7 wrote:
I haven't gottena all of the particulars worked out yet, but I am
working on designing a camera stand and trying to decide on the best
material to make most of it out of.

I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel, but a special project makes it
necessary to be able to take a series of as many as 180 equally spaced
photos across a 45° swing and be be able to do the same again without
any perceptable deviation.

In other words if I take a picture at 12-1/4° and then continue
turning the camera all the way to the end, when I return the camera to
the same spot I took the photo I will need to be able to stop and lock
the camera so that the photo next photo I take there is *exactly the
same as the previous one I took.

This is not plausible with conventional camera stands. So I'm trying
to decide on the best metal to make the moving parts out of. A metal
that will best retain it's dimensions under changing temperature
conditions.

To start. Would cast Iron be a plausible candidate?

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

My favorite is to "fix it in software"
If there's a fixed reference item in frame, can't you just
align it in software?