Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve W.[_2_] Steve W.[_2_] is offline

Default Dimensionally Stable Metal

Denis G. wrote:
On Feb 9, 7:24 am, "Jim Wilkins" wrote:
"Gunner" wrote in message

On Tue, 5 Feb 2013 15:20:56 -0800 (PST), Searcher7
wrote:
I haven't gottena all of the particulars worked out yet, but I am
working on designing a camera stand and trying to decide on the best
material to make most of it out of.
I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel, but a special project makes it
necessary to be able to take a series of as many as 180 equally
spaced
photos across a 45° swing and be be able to do the same again
without
any perceptable deviation.
A Haas indexer would do the job nicely.
And you can program it to whatever positions you need.

I didn't see the OP mention if this panoramic camera has to survive
outdoor weather that will ruin an expensive indexer.
jsw

I worked for a company that had a ruling engine for diffraction
gratings. Gratings could be ruined from vibrations caused by heavy
trucks going by (this was in the company's former location). Besides
building sway, weather, and all the other complications I think that
the wheel is being re-invented here.
To start: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panoram...optric_cameras

Any good indexed panorama tripod head will already do this. The
Manfrotto 303 comes to mind