Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Lamb[_2_] Tim Lamb[_2_] is offline

Default 'No practical use' for 17-million digit prime number

In message , Nick
writes
In message , Rod Speed
writes

"ARW" wrote in message
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21382663

Why is it only "thought" to be the largest prime number ever identified?

Because (large) prime numbers are used in all encryption systems. These
systems rely for security on no-one being able to predict where to find
'new' or existing primes. If someone has worked out how to do it, they
won't shout about it because they'll be in control of everybody else's
private information.
Because no one has claimed a larger one YET.

I'm currently reading *The Music of the Primes* and wishing my maths
were more robust.

--
Tim Lamb