Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nightjar Nightjar is offline

Default TOT - if the lied about the beef being horse meat.......

On 08/02/2013 14:44, whisky-dave wrote:
On Friday, February 8, 2013 1:23:46 PM UTC, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 08/02/13 12:46, Dave Liquorice wrote:

What I find rather disturbing is that no one in the whole long supply

chain, from abattoir to retail outlet, appears to have been routinely

testing that a batch of meat or product called "beef" really is 100%

beef.

How would you know?

Usually the ideas is to have the ingedients listed.
The same goes for use by and sell by dates and price tickets/barcode.

DNA testing is scarcely the sort of thing that people engage in routinely.

That's why you should only buy from reputable companies, whether or not people think Findus is reputable may change.

I suspect that may depend upon how Findus reacts and whether they had
taken reasonable steps to prevent this sort of thing happening.

One of the reasons given by Tesco for terminating their contract with
the supplier of their Value beefburgers was that they had deviated from
the list of Tesco approved suppliers. That suggests that Tesco imposed a
standard, even if they did not have procedures in place for checking
that their suppliers were keeping to it. I expect that will change soon.

Colin Bignell